Sunday, February 17, 2019

The Late Years Sixteen


Photo of Bald Eagle near Jordan Lake Dam by Doc. Ellen, DVM
 ***

The Late Years Sixteen, February 17, 2019

You are the flower of my aging heart,
always there, in person or by email.
I called you my support system. More 
than that. Like you see into Wag’s soul, 
quiet and reclusive though she is, and
into the hearts of the eagles that keep
an eye on you while you check on
their precious nests and even attend
your public talks on eagle lore, you see
into mine. Yes, despite my suffering
when his love claimed mine, and yet
so much we had to let go, you understand
my contentment nearly thirty years
later, when our story will take its
destined place in the history of our
two warring cultures. I said, “I’m so
glad I found you in my older years, 
and you echoed the thought. Love 
becomes eternal in such moments.
Years aren’t necessary. Certain
instants in a long life when time 
stands still are all we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment