Sunday, March 7, 2021

Being Wise Five


Christmas 2016

Being Wise Five March 7, 2021


Aging interferes with memory.

People used to admire mine.

Now I need reminding. I keep

two records, when I only need

one. If a book slips out of sight,

I can’t find it. I search my piles

of folders for class notes, student

work, miscellaneous papers I

don’t want to lose track of. But

where are they? Yet the lines

of new poems rise to the surface

My words are still there and

many memories, even if not

the ones I’m looking for. I do

pretty well on grocery lists and

remembering meal plans. My

life is simple: writing, publishing

what I’ve written; teaching, 

nudging my students to keep

after their goals, pointing out

awkward phrasing, celebrating

the completion of a book. 

Amazing that I still have

students. Once I forgot my 

class, but they were not angry.

They called to remind me. Can

love compensate for memory

loss? Sometimes, Muse Mother.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Judy! I found your blog while doing research on Manazar Gamboa! I would love to know more about him. Hope you can reach me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email address is viva@drylandla.org or Viva Padilla on Facebook!

      Delete