Monday, June 28, 2021

Being Wise Twenty-One


Orchids in my kitchen


Beeing Wise Twenty-One June 28, 2021


Why was I seeing strange images

when I lay in the tube to have my brain

photographed? The doctors who studied

the pictures were triumphant. “You definitely

have CAA, When you couldn’t use your

left hand, it was because of a bleed in your

brain. This will get worse. You’ll have little

seizures. There are medicines.” They sent

me home with a list. I looked up the side-

effects. Nothing I want to risk. My doctor

and I will talk it over. She listens to me.

A doctor who listens, tells me her thoughts, 

and lets me choose is all I ask. I came home

from the Emergency Department discouraged.

No new signs of little seizures. I have a huge

pile of dishes to wash. I’ll wash them soon.

A little at a time. I’ll get back to my ususal

routine. So far my episodes aren’t painful,

though they take me by surprise. My left hand

won’t work, and I drop a cup. The doctors

take it very seriously. I do, too, but it’s scary.

I must be brave. Fortunately, I know how.

No comments:

Post a Comment