Sunday, July 11, 2021

Being Wise Twenty-Three

    Judy Hogan and Mikhail Bazankov in Russia in 1992


Being Wise Twenty-Three July 11, 2021

When I sleep, my mind goes back

to my beginnings. 1981, when Cindy

Paris worked for the Durham County

Library and suggested a Humanities

grant, and so a Roadmap to Great

Literature came to exist because

I invented it, using Ezra Pound’s 

ABC of Reading. Because I was

a local publisher, I gathered more

students than we had places for, 

and the grant was emended to give

them room. I was tough. They were

to read all of The Iliad and The Odyssey,

all of Dante’s Inferno, Chaucer, Sappho,

Catullus. Then write from those

examples, and they did. Our meeting

place was the Stanford Warren library,

earlier the Black branch. Broken 

windows were repaired. Later they

put us at the big main library. I was

glad, but noticed fewer Black writers.

So I set up a class at the Warren

library, and the Black writers returned.

The Humnities Council kept funding

our classes, and I had a salary. Cindy

cheered me on as did others. even 

Mary Semans when I had been rejected

by the National Endowment for the Humanities.

She used her influence to tell them they

were wrong. My students were reading

the books. So then I got a two-year grant

and even an opportunity to write a

book about my Roadmap classes. 

I had no Ph.D., but I was considered a

Humanist because of my years at

U.C.-Berkeley studying the classics.

I brought in professors from UNC and

Duke to teach French, Spanish, modern

Greek literature. The book, Watering the

Roots in a Democracy, was published

by my Carolina Wren Press and sent

free to libraries. Cindy was glad for my

success. I gave a copy to the Mayor of

Kostroma when he visited Durham to sign

the Sister Cities Agreement between

Durham and Kostroma, Russia. And he gave

the book to the leader of the Kostroma Writers

Organization, Mikhael Bazankov, and he

proposed we do exchanges of our writers,

and we did.







No comments:

Post a Comment