Sunday, August 21, 2022

The Twenty-first Poem


Durham and Kostroma people (Sister Cities gathering)


The Twenty-first Poem August 21, 2022


The fragile human body! It can

seem tough, but it turns out to be

breakable, Not long ago I broke

three toes. I’ve fallen on my head,

half in/half out of the chicken coop,

or backwards at the sink. I’ve

learned to catch myself before I

fall, and even go months without

falling. And walk short distances

with no cane or walker. Yet I live

now knowing I can fall so easily,

so without warning. It’s part of

aging, living with this unpredictability.

We do heal. Once I got a black eye,

when I couldn’t stop running and

had to fall to stop myself. And then

I couldn’t get up. People around

me worry I’ll do it again. Never

intended, always unexpected.

My doctor calls me “Trouble.”

Yet she defends me to my son:

“It’s how she does as well as

she does.” Despite my falls,

I thrive.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment