Sunday, October 9, 2022

The Twenty-sixth and Twenty-Eighth poems


         Kxenia and Vera daughter and mother in Kostroma, Russia


The Twenty-sixth Poem October 2, 2022


A sestina


Twenty-three years I’ve lived in this house.

A lot has changed, including the music.

The next door peacocks appear once it’s light.

The rooster crows even in the dark.

Do I hear the stern command of Mrs. Peacock?

Ushering out an inquisitive duck?


The first explorer was a lonely duck.

Most of the time I stay in the house.

But I tune my ears to hear the mother peacock

I’m often up while it’s still dark.

Soon enough I’m blessed with light.

It seems as if the peacock brings music.


Since my teen years I’ve loved music.

I never expected a mother duck

or a beautiful, triumphant peacock.

This changed the mood in the whole house.

Even so I can’t say I mind the dark.

And soon enough I’m blessed with light.


My son sees them when he goes into the dark.

He wakes the hens, brings on the duck.

He casts out chicken feed, and there’s the peacock.

Suddenly in no time there’s the light.

I strain my ears to hear the music.

And try to imagine what’s happening outside the house.


I tell all my friends who come to the house

especially about the peacock.

I’ve come to enjoy getting up in the dark.

I wonder who will come next. Another duck?

Or maybe the cardinals with their cheerful music?

I’m always surprised by the reappearance of the light.


As I lie dying, I hope there will be music.

Hopefully it will praise both the light and the dark.

Inside and outside the house.

One can only wish to let go of light

with the blessing of a peacock.

And I have love, too, for the mother duck.


Now I’m quite alive in both the light and dark.

I welcome the music of the duck.

But my favorite bird outside the house is the peacock.



The Twenty-eighth Poem October 9, 2022


There are people who try to trick you

and they do. They’re very persuasive.

But not legal. They set traps and soon

you say “yes.” to your own harm.

Then you realize they’ve trapped you.

How will you free yourself? And

get your life back to normal?

You’ll have to be clever, too, to get

their chains off and free your

hands and fest. That’s work,

or course. And you yourself aren’t as

helpless as you feel. They’re the ones

who are illegal. You have everything

on your side. Trust your strength

and canniness. Of course you will win.


No comments:

Post a Comment