Sunday, November 18, 2012

Killer Frost--Reader Comments III


Fall colors from Sugar Loaf Mountain in Maryland, looking to woods.  Thanks to John Ewing.

***
Our frost came during a drought, so not such vibrant colors, and right here, not everything has yet been touched by that killer.

Meantime, people continue to send me their impressions of Killer Frost.  I've finished my fall readings and signings, which have brought many new readers close as well as many dear friends.  Now I'm resting from that, except for the radio show on WCOM 103.5 FM, local Carrboro, Chapel Hill, and Durham community radio the Friday after Thanksgiving, November 23, 6 PM, with Jackie Helvey and Valarie Schwartz.  A video will be available on Jackie's TV show website at http://wacstern.com, and you will be able to listen live on the radio from their website:  http://wcomfm.org.
***


KILLER FROST READER COMMENTS, III.

Marian Copeland, Pittsboro writer (in an email 10-23-12): It’s your fault I didn’t have any lunch!  I started reading your book this morning and couldn’t stop–didn’t want to stop–long enough to make myself some lunch.  It is SO good–I hope to be able to write half as well some day.  It’s amazing that you are able to create so many characters that are all real–I could clearly picture each of them, how they looked, how they carried themselves, how they thought.  You are a terrific writer.  I loved the book.

Pat Dawson, owner of Paperbacks Plus! in Siler City (in an email 10-23-12): Midway through Killer Frost I was sure I knew “who done it,” but still I was surprised.  You have woven a story on many levels.  The struggles of the students to overcome their initial reluctance for change, the struggles of the faculty to actually help, and the struggles to solve the murder.  Amongst all those struggles is the joy in coming to know your characters.  I felt that, by the end of the book, they were friends, and I want to know more about them and their lives.  Looking forward to reading the books that come before this as well as the ones after.

Marian Westbrook, Goldsboro writer (in an email 10-23-12): Judy, I’ve been meaning to write and tell you that I enjoyed reading Killer Frost.  You did such a good job developing the characters and the plot, as well as weaving in issues that you care about.  As a former English teacher at a community college, I could identify with some of the students’ deficiencies.  And the dialog seemed very natural.
The only quibble I had with the book was that things seemed to happen so fast, and Penny got pulled into the problems after being on campus such a short time. I think she goes only twice a week.  You did have Oscar confiding in her a lot, so that helped.  This is a minor complaint considering how good the book is.  Good luck on getting your others published.

Gloria Alden, mystery writer friend (in a comment on Amazon.com): I enjoyed this book from beginning to end. Her characters were very real to me, and her plot was excellent, keeping me reading on to see what would happen next. I love to solve the mystery before the end and couldn't in this case even though the murderer was plausible when I found out who it was. I also learned things I didn't know, which is a plus for any book, in my opinion. I can't wait to read the sequel to find out what happens to Penny and her other ongoing characters.

Mary Susan Heath, Goldsboro writer (email of 11-7-12): I had a “milky drink” this afternoon when I needed a bit of comfort.  Although I got my own this time, I will never have a cup of hot chocolate or warm milk without thinking of Killer Frost, where the characters offer each other this refreshment, along with their empathy.

The commentary on academic responsibility for academically deficient students is certainly most timely.  But what I enjoyed most about the book were the relationships.  Any woman who has a daughter will smile when Penny recognizes that her daughter isn’t really asking for advice, but merely affirmation for what she has already decided to do.  Women will, of course, understand and relate to the daughter’s quest to create a “real” family for herself.  Then there is Penny’s dilemma with the men in her life and how she works that out for an interesting subplot.  A most interesting read!


1 comment:

  1. Nice comments, Judy, for a book that deserves everything nice that could be said about it.

    ReplyDelete