Sunday, August 22, 2021

Being Wise Twenty-Nine

 My books, The Sands of Gower and Haw, in Kostroma, Russia Library

Being Wise Twenty-Nine   August 22, 2021

Leaves reaching, inside the window,

outside, too. Around me paintings,

mostly Russian, those loved people.

Then papers and books everywhere:

under my desk, in drawers of filing

cabinets, in boxes taking up half

the room, or more. All the words I’ve

written and will leave behind me.

These last books are my best, I think.

One at a time, I’ve published twenty-

eight books. In coming years, thirty-

one. Then I’ll rest my case. All the

human stories I’ve told, the battles

I’ve described; the endings I’ve

imagined and made real. All the

people who’ve helped me, and those

I’ve helped. What else is our human

life for? If we help each other on earth,

we’ll help each other in heaven. Who

we are won’t ever be lost. Even as our

light dims, it won’t disappear.


No comments:

Post a Comment