Sunday, August 1, 2021

Being Wise Twenty-Six


 Blue Grosbeak at Jordan Lake Dam. Photo by Doc Ellen

Being Wise Twenty-Six August 1, 2021


It takes courage not to worry

when your brain has little bleeds.

Where will it end, and when?

No one knows. I take the pill

every day and carry hot tea

without a spill. I sometimes

knock things off. Dishes

accumulate. I bury myself in

good books. In the midst of a

fire scene when a wrecked

helicopter explodes, the smoke

alarm goes off. Tim toasted

his bread twice with that result.

He knew it would but couldn’t

resist. I jump. The book’s fire

is real to me. In the book,

problems are solved. Mine I

have to live with. Right now

I’m not in pain. Sometimes I

can’t sleep when I want to,

and many times I sleep when

I’m trying to stay awake. It’s

part of aging, yes. I’m living

longer than most people. I’m

being cared for in ways I never

expected. Life ends by being

mysterious and gracious, not

to mention unpredictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment