Sunday, August 8, 2021

Being Wise Twenty-Seven

photo of my Grandmother Grace with gladiolas in Norman, OK.

Being Wise Twenty-Seven August 8, 2021


My aging body is doing well, 

all considered, but when my feet

hurt, it slows me way down. I

forget to do my exercises. It

doesn’t take much. A sharp

toenail. If I’m reading a good

book, I almost forget the pain,

but it never quite goes away. I

have to act on behalf of my

feet. Mostly though I pass through

my days with very little pain.

When I took off my shoes,

the pain eased. I have three

helpers, sometimes more. When

I have to ask help, I try to give

them advance notice and choices.

“If you would pick the okra,

I’d be so grateful.” He didn’t

want to, but he did. My life is

very limited, yet I still publish

books and teach classes. But

I can easily forget what day it is

and have to stop and think:

“Today is Sunday, poem day.

Write about the way it is now.

Then there will be a record

in case I forget.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment