Sunday, October 17, 2021

Being Wise Thirty-Seven


 Judy Hogan making bread. Photo by Virginia.

Being Wise Thirty-Seven October 17, 2021


Nearly seven, and only a little evidence

that daylight is coming. The bread

came out well, in spite of me. I was

exhausted by the time it was ready,

and Tim took it out of the oven. I’ve

been making it since I was told I was

allergic to wheat. So I’ve used rye

flour, and soy and oatbran, some

unbleached, but all organic. My son

and I enjoy it hot and fresh. It’s a

ceremony to cut a few slices when

we take it from the pans. People

we treasure get some, too. Once

I sold it to students who ate it as

they drove home. I think it keeps

me as healthy as possible. Every

few weeks I make a fresh batch.

The hens get the leftovers. My

friends say it’s a feast. There’s

so little in our world as such 

simple, elegant daily bread. 

May we always have enough 

and the energy to bake more.



No comments:

Post a Comment