Sunday, October 10, 2021

Being Wise Thirty-Six


 Russian village house in Gorka in Winter. 2020.

Being Wise Thirty-Six October 10, 2021


Finally the rain came. Now the onions 

will have their first satisfying drink.

The flowers will bloom, bees swarm in.

Winter holds back, hesitates. I sleep a

few more hours, inhabit a quiet house,

a relieved natural world. Across from

me a dusty road in a Russian village.

Sorting books, we found it. I was

there twenty-nine years ago, and lonely.

So much has changed. I live from day

to day, glad I’m still alive, but knowing

I’ll die. I’m finishing my work in this

world. Friends accompany me. Photos

of children live everywhere. Books

overwhelm this room. Most of them

I’ll give away. I only need my favorites

now, my old friends: Austen, Trollope,

Eliot, Penny, Spencer Fleming, Cary,

my Russian dictionaries. It’s time

to publish my last book. The diaries

are for me. Other people may enjoy

the books I don’t need. The paintings

and photos will keep me company,

my children and friends. I don’t think

I’ll ever be completely lonely again.



No comments:

Post a Comment