Sunday, November 14, 2021

Being Wise Forty-One


                         Judy portrait by Janet 2020 in December

Being Wise Forty-One November 14, 2021


At night I lie awake, remembering

instead of sleeping. In sleep I

forget what kept me wakeful.

It had been so vivid: a waking

dream that wouldn’t let go. Now

that slate is clean: erased, what

had intruded. The return of light

on the morning it finally killed

the late summer flowers. Winter’s 

here with its chains, its loss of

light. There were a few tomatoes

we didn’t bring in, flowers we

might have picked, all gone.

Next year we’ll begin again.

Seeds, then seedlings, and slowly

flowers. Janet planted onions, which

will survive. The hens will wear

their new feathers. The mice will

be hiding in the house, in the

walls. I bundle up, pull over the

blanket, think of Thanksgiving

and Christmas. What shall I tell

my friends and neighbors? That

dreams keep me awake? I need

to wear more layers, put on more

blankets, believe I’ll continue

waking up?

No comments:

Post a Comment