Sunday, November 28, 2021

Being Wise Forty-Three


                             Judy by Debbie Meyer spring 2021

         Being Wise Forty-Three November 28, 2021


When the body has different ideas,

I’m distracted, shivering, wrap

myself in blankets, drink hot tea,

soon feel almost normal, drink

more tea with honey. It’s light

outside, though the sun on the

higher leaves doesn’t mean it’s

warm. Maybe later sun will be

closer to warm. Maybe the toast

calories will kick in, and Tim 

will be up and making a fire

in the woodstove. Meantime

I will drink more hot tea. When

I lived in a borrowed apartment

in Russia, twenty-six years ago,

there was frost inside on the

windows at night, but the city

turned the heat on at seven, 

and we slept under feather

beds. Then the inside ice

melts. I was the visitor and

mostly valued, though rarely

by my students. Maybe I had

more influence than I thought.

You never know whose lives

you’ll influence. But it’s 

worthwhile to do your best

despite whatever the body

is up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment