Sunday, December 5, 2021

Being Wise Forty-Four


 Judy at 84, sister Margie at 81. August 2021

Being Wise Forty-Four December 5, 2021


What a different life I lead.

The butter won’t melt on my toast.

I’m in my computer corner by day

and on my couch by night. From this

old writing chair I see my medicine

bottles, my water bottle, the half-full

honey jar, the book I’m reading,

the computer, the stack of paid and

unpaid bills.  By my couch bed, a

vaporizer, a pile of my clean clothes,

a poinsettia. My cauterized nose

has still not healed. Out the window

I see the leafed and unleafed trees

at the edge of the woods, the coming

of light. Soon we’ll move the other

way as the earth shifts for January

and hurries toward mid-summer.

Our winter has been slight so far.

“Won’t you walk outside?” says

my son. “Not yet,” I say. Things

change slowly, inevitably, without

consulting me. I stay calm. Take

each day and do my best as the slow

days pass with fewer surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment