Sunday, July 17, 2022

The Sixteenth Poem

Judy and Mikhail some years ago in Kostroma, Russia

The Sixteenth Poem July 17, 2022


When I want to sleep and can’t,

I eat a midnight snack, then wait

for sleep to take me. It will come,

but I don’t know when or why it

waits so long. Sometimes I make

, myself remember when my new

beloved used love words in another

language that I didn’t know, yet

I was sure he loved me. That

unexpected love that held me up,

that took me over. We both wanted

to live in a small house in the

forest. He said one day we’d each

have a wing and fly sosmewhere

together. He left me. It will be

my turn next. I’m glad I’m still

alive and sleep still comes. One

day death, too, will arrive, and we’ll

fly as one, as two, joined at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment