Sunday, March 20, 2022

Being Wise Fifty-Nine


   

Nonna   Slepakova, Russsian poet and translator, Komarovo 1995

Being Wise Fifty-Nine March 20, 2022

I’m alive. Remember to remember.

The days pass slowly. I’m not in pain.

Only a few twinges that don’t linger.

I read and write, make lasagna and

tunafish salad, wash dishes, make

my bed, drink hot lemon grass

ginger tea, take my pills, talk to

friends by email, and to Tim when

he’s home and awake. My heart

still goes along steadily. I fall

asleep when I don’t want to, and

stay awake when I want to sleep.

Outside I see the volunteer peach

tree blossoms opening. The carpenter

bees are busy among them. The

earth is alive, too. Janet plants beets

and sugar snap peas. The onions get

growth spurts. It rains more often.

Sun and rain produce their magic.

It’s a good time to be alive.





No comments:

Post a Comment