Sunday, October 30, 2022

The Thirtieth Poem


 Alyosha, Aleksei, Ksenia, and behind them Nadya--at Dacha in summer


The Thirtieth Poem October 30, 2022


We met together, my children and my 

younger brother, and his wife.  All of

us getting older and maybe wiser. I’d

made lasagna. It came out a little soupy,

but no one complained. We told stories.

Some we smiledd to hear. Some we did

not. We left as friends. They were soon

heading home, eager to be far away again,

far north of us. We may never see them

again, now that we’re rooted here, so far

south. I wanted to know their feelings.

Some I could read; some I couldn’t.

Those birth ties. Not easy to re-open,

to explain. Or even to accept. Yet I’m

glad we met and took the risk. I sent

them my best book of poems, and he

thanked me. I can only guess what he’ll

think. Will they open their eyes? Will

they read to the depth?

No comments:

Post a Comment