Sunday, October 2, 2022

The Twenty-Seventh Poem


 Belikh family, with daughters Lyuba and Vera, and granddaughters at dacha in summer

The Twenty-Sixth Poem October 2, 2022


Day after day the same view,

books nearby, most unsorted,

I sit in my office chair where I

 eat and write, where I keep

things I like to look at: my

teacup, the old honey jar, and

the new one, my two medicine

bottles, my red and green placemat, 

and napkin, a water bottle, a 

small flashlight, to help me read,

a small plant with yellow flowers, 

salt and pepper shakers, a roll 

of paper towels, two candles, two 

photos, both of myself, at age one 

and a half. In one held by my father, 

my mother smiling. In the other,

alone in my borrowed crib–

alone and surprised: Who are

you? I seem to be asking.

a black duck’s feather, At

midnight black dark outside,

my peacock cup and toast

plate, the books I’m teaching,

heavy book boxes, and on them

the seeds that never got planted.

But we did have tomatoes.

I made spaghetti sauce four

times, safely stored in the freezer,

books on top, bread flours within. 

Despite my illness, I flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment