Sunday, September 5, 2021

Being Wise Thirty-One


                        Portrait of Judy by Debbie Meyer Summer 2021. 

                Being Wise Thirty-One September 5, 2021


I will die. I don’t want to think about it. 

as it comes into my dreams and holds me

in its grip. Will I suffer or just feel weak

and lose my fight, my will to win? I can’t 

even remember my dream, just the way

it held me captive. I felt needy. I had to get

away, but I couldn’t. I’ve done what I

wanted to do, what I needed to do. One

more big book to get out. Can I manage

that? I’ll try. I’ll make bread today. I’ll

put the two halves of my last book back

together. I’ll teach my classes. These

may be the last, but I’ll give them my

best effort. I’ll keep writing poems.

They’re still coming. I won’t change

the way I am. The big world around

me is staggering. Too many people 

are without the food and shelter they

need. No money, no work, no hope in

their future. I have food and shelter,

and loving people to help me. I’ll do

all I can now. I’m not helpless yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment