Sunday, January 9, 2022

Being Wise Forty-Nine


 Judy photo taken by her sister in late August 2021

Being Wise Forty-Nine January 9, 2022


There was a time when I felt no pain

in a normal day. Now I do, especially

when I wake up and sit up, and when

I first lie down at night. Related to my

falls maybe? Or to my disease? Last

night I was almost limp. This morning

I could see daylight beyond the curtains.

It was time to get up. Do I complain

now or simply endure? There may not

be any cure. I try hard now not to fall.

It’s a chore to drag my walker around

but I do it. I am alive, right? And the

medicine still helps. I’d like to live\

until my last book comes out. And

worse pains may lie ahead. But many

good things happen, too. My students

return to learn from me. I have help

with chores. Tim carries dishes to the

table for me. I dropped his cucumbers.

Having fed baby twins some years ago,

one at a time in the highchair, the one

on the floor eating what the other

one dropped, my standards changed.

I rinsed off the cucumber slices.

So I adapt to some pains and do

the best I can. I’m not unhappy.



1 comment:

  1. I just found this - haven’t been reading your blogspot regularly. ( I think I have missed a good source of knowing what is happening in your life just now). We both move slower these days, and yesterday John took a spill down in the “North forty” the back unused part of the GHBC grounds, which he has been opening up to hearty walkers. He is moving a bit slower nursing a knee injury he “did” there a few days ago. He is relatively spry for a ninety year old, and I alternate between encouraging and discouraging him!
    We are socked in, up in the clouds here on the 8th floor, still a new experience for me after 7 and a half years doesn’t seem that long.
    We talk daily with Eliz, now getting adjusted to her new apt in Portland, driving herself to daily radiology sessions at the hospital - a teaching hospital for Oregon. All her furniture burned up in a storage fire a couple of years ago, but friends have been giving her odds and ends, plus she has picked up pieces from local second hand shops, etc. She gave us a “virtual tour,” and it looked very spiffy to me. She has c. 4 more weeks of radiology, a follow up to surgery as a precaution for missing any cancerous cells. We just hope for the best.
    I am still reading my way through Baba Summer, part 2, use the good magnifier John ordered sometime ago. it covers the pages horizontally, so I can “flow” down the page easily.
    Time to get started on daily stuff, like dressing!
    S.

    ReplyDelete